photo expat-header_zpsqmr5engx.png


 photo home_zpsk4iaoazh.png photo aboutme_zps9dayau1h.png photo DIY_zps3fx2hdxy.png photo recipes_zpsxrow90fo.png photo YL_zpswj2twz6a.png

Tuesday, January 16, 2007

A conversation about strangers and dangers

Surely I wasn't ready for this.

No, I wasn't.

Emma answered the door to a stranger while I was in the shower.

She came running into the bathroom to tell me and then dashed back into the living room.

I don't think I have EVER gotten out of the tub, grabbed a robe and ran to the door faster than I did last Saturday morning.

But I could not get to the door fast enough.

My heart stopped.

She was thisclose to getting out of the door before I was able to intervene.

As soon as we got back into the house the cautionary, but not scary words started flowing.

And then the tears.

Of fear.

Of relief.

And then a trip to Home Depot for a keyed deadbolt lock was purchased and installed.

(Prior to the new lock, our front door was secured by a regular lock on the doorknob and a deadbolt that only had a keyed feature on the front side of the door which makes it too easy for a wee little to unlock the door in the first place.)

I learned a hard lesson that morning.

It is NEVER too early to talk to your kids.

Do it.

Today.

And tomorrow.

And then again.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

bless your heart! thank goodness she came to tell you!

Susie said...

oh my, that is a scary scenario.
I am pretty paranoid of the front door - my 20-month-old can open it and walk out and she has (if the childproof metal thing isn't flipped over in the right postion).
I'm off to have a talk.
S

Missy said...

oh dear- how heart wrenching!

Anonymous said...

OH MY GOSH Stephanie. I'm glad that she came and got you. So very glad.

Anonymous said...

That was me...Lindsay!

Sheri said...

that is scary - these things sneak up on you, don't they?

Blogging tips